[BioC] normalisation assumptions (violation of)

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 8 19:20:58 CEST 2006

I forgot to add one thing:

On 8/8/06, Henrik Bengtsson <hb at stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> that the scanner introduce an offset. It might simply be that the
> image-analysis based background estimators happen to get close to the
> scanner background; that does not mean that the detected signal in the
> proximity of a spot is added to the spot, it just happens to be a good
> proxy to get to the scanner offset.  That is just a hypothesis and in
> general I think that image-background signals are poor and noisy
> estimators of the scanner offset.
>
> > Another reason I think background substraction doesn't matter much, is
> > that on the occasions when I do see some pattern on the background
> > (using 'imageplot' for instance, you can tune the ranges to display to
> > enhance and view those patterns), it often doesn't translate on a
> > pattern when you display the red/green ratios, or the signals on their
> > own. Not always, but quite often, from what I've seen. And when you do
> > get some scratches that affect clearly the signal measured, it might
> > make more sense to flag those spots... or to simply rely on the fact
> > that there should be enough replicates, so an odd measurement should
> > not affect the outcome too much (hopefully if on another slide I have
> > another scratch it will not affect the very same spots again :-)
>
> Agree.
>
> > I think I like Henrik Bengtsson's idea about measuring the background
> > inherent to a particular scanner, and substract that instead... but I
> > haven't yet explored that properly (hangs head in shame)... the probelm
> > with being a one-man operation is that you're pressed to get results
> > that are "good enough" to continue the biology, rather than spending
> > too much time in working out what's teh best way to get the most of the
> > data available. If only I could clone myself... but then I wouldn't
> > like to work with myself... ;-)
> >
> > Right now I am exploring another avenue: repeating those experiments
> > that gave me high background with view to remove the offending slides
> > and use something of better quality. In this case it's relatively
> > simple, but many tiimes I will not have the luxury, therefore I still
> > want to understand the problem with background better.
>
> Seriously, it is very easy to do scanner calibration.  Much easier
> that repeating experiments.  Also, if the scanner offset is stable
> over time, which I suspect it is, you might only have to do this once
> every now and then, and simply just reuse the same estimate across
> arrays.
>
> Scan the same array at say four different PMTs, e.g. 800V, 700V, 600V
> and 500V.  Keep the array in the scanner between scans to keep
> everything but the PMT as similar as possible.  That way you can reuse
> the spot mask identified by Axon GenePix Pro on the 800V for the other
> images too.  You'll get four GPR files.  Pull out the foreground
> signals for one channel at the time from each of them as a vector,
> e.g. X800, X700, X600, X500, and put them in a matrix
>
>  X <- matrix(c(X800, X700, X600, X500), ncol=4)

Already here you can see if you've got scanner offset or not.  Plot
you data pairwise and zoom in at (0,0) and see if the datapoints from
the different pairs converge at (0,0) or not;

par(pch=19)
plot(NA, xlim=c(0,700), ylim=c(0,700), col=(col <- 1))
abline(a=0,b=1)
for (ii in 1:3) for (jj in (ii+1):4) points(X[,c(ii,jj)], col=(col <- col + 1))

See attached image for example.

/Henrik