[BioC] BioC2006, issues with makePlatformDesign package

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:19:24 CEST 2006

Hello Rafa, Benilton, and others,

I didn't get a chance to sit on the "Advancing in Feature-Level
Analyses for Microarray Data" workshop[1] while at BioC2006, so I
thought I'd try to work from the slides.  However, I'm running into
some issues, which is not surprising given that I'm new to R and
BioConductor.  As an example of one issue, I'd like to try out the
makePlatformDesign package as explained on slide 56 of the tutorial-
slides using our own data.  Here is the transcript of the results,
where R's working directory is C:/tmp:

<quote>
R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

 > library(makePlatformDesign)

Welcome to Bioconductor

     Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
     'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
     on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

Warning messages:
1: package 'makePlatformDesign' was built under R version 2.4.0
2: package 'affyio' was built under R version 2.4.0
3: package 'oligo' was built under R version 2.4.0

 > makePDpackage("d:/2006-01-30_Orion_ogha2.ndf",
+               "d:/77786_532.xys",
+               manufacturer="nimblegen", type="tiling")
nimblegen tiling
The package will be called pd20060130orionogha2
Reading d:/2006-01-30_Orion_ogha2.ndf
Assuming a simple design (NOT multiple-wells).
Creating package in C:/tmp/pd20060130orionogha2
[1] "pd20060130orionogha2"

 > install.packages("C:/tmp/pd20060130orionogha2", repos=NULL)
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: cannot open compressed file 'pd20060130orionogha2/DESCRIPTION'

<quote>

We've googled for the error message "Error in gzfile ..." without any
fruitful hits.  Any ideas why we are getting this error?  Wrong
version of R?  Wrong version of BioConductor?  Wrong configuration?
Wrong sequence of commands?  Wrong data format?  Something else?

Trying to install the package from the command line yielded these
results:

<quote>
C:\tmp>R CMD INSTALL pd20060130orionogha2
'R' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\tmp>path
PATH=D:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3.1\bin;C:
\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:
\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;D:\j2sdk1.4.2_05\bin;
</quote>

I suspect this is because the path to R needs to specified in the
PATH variable.  When we explicitly used the path to R, we then got
errors about requiring perl.  Before we go down the path of missing
dependencies (e.g. perl, gcc, and who knows what else) I thought I'd
post here to make sure that we were not overlooking the obvious.

This is for R running on Windows 2003 server.

[1] http://www.bioconductor.org/workshops/2006/BioC2006/labs/bcarvalho/

Regards,
- Robert Citek <rwcitek at oriongenomics.com>