[BioC] rflowcyt - read.series.FCS function

Nolwenn LeMeur nlemeur at fhcrc.org
Tue Aug 22 19:45:44 CEST 2006

Hi Jab,

Thanks you for using rflowcyt.

I have created the plotdensity.FCS function to perform some
data quality assessment on 'raw' data but I believe you can use it on
gated data. Depending on your gating approach, I think you can still read all your
files at once with the read.series.FCS function, which only build a list
of FCS.object.

Below are 2 dummy examples that, I think, do what you want:

library(rflowcyt)

 if (require(rfcdmin)) {
       ##Obtain the location of the fcs files
       pathFiles<-system.file("bccrc", package="rfcdmin")
       drugFiles<-dir(pathFiles)

       ## Read a serie of FCS files
       drugData<-read.series.FCS(drugFiles,path=pathFiles,MY.DEBUG=FALSE)

       }

##---- First method ------
##Gate your first sample
gate1.range.x <- c(200, 600)
gate1.range.y <- c(200, 600)
gateSample1 <- createGate(drugData[[1]], varpos = c(1, 2), gatingrange =
c(gate1.range.x,
 gate1.range.y), type = "bidcut", comment = "first gate")

##Gate your second
gate2.range.x <- c(300, 600)
gate2.range.y <- c(300, 600)
gateSample2 <- createGate(drugData[[2]], varpos = c(1, 2), gatingrange =
c(gate2.range.x,
 gate2.range.y), type = "bidcut", comment = "first gate")

##Extract data
gateS1 <- extractGatedData(gateSample1,gateNum=1,IndexValue.In=1)
gateS2 <- extractGatedData(gateSample2,gateNum=1,IndexValue.In=1)

##Combine in a list
foo <- list(gateS1,gateS2)

##Draw a density plot for the Foward SCatter parameter for the
##differents aliquots (of the same cell line) tested with different
##compounds.
      plotdensity.FCS(foo,varpos=c(1),main="Gated FSC values",ylim=c(0,0.01),ylab="Density of cells")

##----------Second Method---------

##If the definition of your gate is the same for every sample

gate.range.x <- c(200, 600)
gate.range.y <- c(200, 600)

gatedDrugData <- lapply(drugData,function(x) createGate(x, varpos = c(1,
2), gatingrange = c(gate.range.x,
 gate.range.y), type = "bidcut", comment = "first gate"))

gatedData <- lapply(gatedDrugData,function(x)
extractGatedData(x,gateNum=1,IndexValue.In=1))

plotdensity.FCS(gatedData,varpos=c(1),main="Gated FSC values",ylim=c(0,0.01),ylab="Density of cells")

Hope it helps,
Nolwenn

Nolwenn Le Meur, PhD
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center