[BioC] expression call

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Aug 22 20:24:59 CEST 2006

Hi Galina,

Glazko, Galina wrote:
> Dear list
>

> I need to select genes which are actually expressed in a set of Affy
> chips.
>
> I've heard about 'expression call' thing, but I do not know exactly
> whether it is relevant to my problem.

I think you mean 'present call', which measures whether or not the
intensities of PM probes for a particular probeset are significantly
different from the corresponding MM probes. This is based on the idea
that MM probes measure background binding, so if the PM probes are
different, the transcript is assumed to be present (or expressed).

You can get these values by using the mas5calls() function in the affy
package. See ?mas5calls for more information.

Best,

Jim

> Would someone help me to solve it?
>

> Best regards