[BioC] FW: Cannot restore saved data in .Rdata after loading tilingArray - object 'breakpoints' not found

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Tue Aug 29 00:11:40 CEST 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

Your suggestion does work for me, and so
provides a functional work-around.

Thanks very much for the information.

Best

Steve McKinney

Original question:

>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> I'm currently having a problem while analysing
>> gene chip data using snapCGH.
>>
>> snapCGH loads tilingArray.
>>
>> After I process some data and either
>> - quit with save = "yes"
>> - use save.image()
>> I am unable to reload the .Rdata contents on subsequent
>> invocations of R.  I get an error message
>>

>> Error: object 'breakpoints' not found whilst loading namespace 'tilingArray'
>> Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData
>>

>> I can reproduce this error by just starting up R,
>>> foo <- 7
>> then quitting R with save = "yes".
>>
>> If I try to restart R, R crashes with the error message above.
>>
>> I'm using the latest Developer version of tilingArray
>> Package: tilingArray
>> Version: 1.11.8
>> Date: 3 Aug 2006
>>
>> Any information/assistance on how to patch this issue would
>> be appreciated.  I need to be able to save data to avoid lengthly
>> reruns of time consuming algorithms on these big gene data
>> sets.
>>
>> Copies of R output showing this issue are included below.
>>
>> Best regards
>>

>> Steven McKinney
>>
>> Statistician
>> Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
>> British Columbia Cancer Research Centre
>>
>> email: smckinney at bccrc.ca
>>
>> tel: 604-675-8000 x7561
>>
>> BCCRC
>> Molecular Oncology
>> 675 West 10th Ave, Floor 4
>> Vancouver B.C.
>> V5Z 1L3
>> Canada

Reply:

>Hi Steven,
>
>best to send this kind of questions to the bioc mailing list, rather
>than to myself privately, because other people might (a) also have
>answers or (b) benefit from the questions & answers.
>
>There is a problem / inconsistency with name spaces, a feature of R
>which is currently rapidly evolving and which I (and others) need to
>follow with our package code.
>
>Try loading the "tilingArray" (and in particular the "strucchange")
>package before loading the .Rdata file, e.g.
>
>In the shell:
>$ mv .Rdata myData.Rdata
>$ R
>
>In R:
> > library("tilingArray")
> > load("myData.Rdata")
>
>Let me know if this helps,
>  Bw
>Wolfgang

Output of original email illustrating problem:

> [...]
>
> R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
> ISBN 3-900051-07-0
>
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>
>   Natural language support but running in an English locale
>
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
>> library(tilingArray)
>
> Welcome to Bioconductor
>
>     Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
>     'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
>     on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

> Attaching package: 'colorspace'
>

>         The following object(s) are masked from package:grDevices :
>
>          hcl

> KernSmooth 2.22 installed
> Copyright M. P. Wand 1997
> Warning message:
> found an S4 version of 'barplot' so it has not been imported correctly
>> foo <- 7
>> q()
> Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: y
> steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$ ls -alF
> total 152
> drwxr-xr-x    6 stevenmc  stevenmc    204 Aug 28 12:06 ./
> drwxr-xr-x   13 stevenmc  stevenmc    442 Jul 27 12:53 ../
> -rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc  16971 Aug 28 12:06 .RData
> -rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc     70 Aug 28 12:06 .Rhistory
> -rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc    875 Jun 22 18:05 ORDER_ID3051_SampleKey.txt
> -rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc  48640 Jun 22 15:06 smiris.xls
> steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$ R
>
> R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
> ISBN 3-900051-07-0
>
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>
>   Natural language support but running in an English locale
>
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
> Error: object 'breakpoints' not found whilst loading namespace 'tilingArray'
> Fatal error: unable to restore saved data in .RData
>
> steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$

Output showing success of work-around:

steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$ mv .Rdata my.Rdata
steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$ ls -alF
total 152
drwxr-xr-x    6 stevenmc  stevenmc    204 Aug 28 14:46 ./
drwxr-xr-x   14 stevenmc  stevenmc    476 Aug 28 12:30 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc     70 Aug 28 12:06 .Rhistory
-rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc    875 Jun 22 18:05 ORDER_ID3051_SampleKey.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc  16971 Aug 28 12:06 my.Rdata
-rw-r--r--    1 stevenmc  stevenmc  48640 Jun 22 15:06 smiris.xls
steven-mckinneys-power-mac-g5:/Volumes/KilroyHD/kilroy/Projects/foo stevenmckinney$ R

R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(tilingArray)

Welcome to Bioconductor

    Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
    'openVignette()' or start with 'help(Biobase)'. For details
    on reading vignettes, see the openVignette help page.

Attaching package: 'colorspace'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:grDevices :

         hcl

KernSmooth 2.22 installed
Copyright M. P. Wand 1997
Warning message:
found an S4 version of 'barplot' so it has not been imported correctly
> load("my.Rdata")
> foo
[1] 7