[BioC] problems with gcrma just.gcrma

Elisabetta Manduchi manduchi at pcbi.upenn.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:34:32 CET 2006

Hi Seth,
thanks for the futher suggestions.
In response, first, the output of sessionInfo() is:

---
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "splines"   "tools"     "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"
"grDevices"
[7] "utils"     "datasets"  "base"

other attached packages:
mgu74av2probe   mgu74av2cdf         gcrma   matchprobes          affy
      "1.14.0"      "1.14.0"       "2.6.0"       "1.6.0"      "1.12.2"
        affyio       Biobase
       "1.2.0"      "1.12.2"
---

I had done a fresh install of the most recent R version (2.4.0) and of the
bioconductor packages (through getBioC.R) just before running gcrma.
Aren't the versions for affy and affyio above the most recent ones?
Second, I've followed your subsequent instruction to enter the debugger
and here is the copy-paste of the session:

---
> library(affy)
> debug(read.probematrix)

data.gcrma<-just.gcrma(filenames=cel.files,type=c("fullmodel"),normalize=T,optimize.by=c("memory"),fast=T,samepleNames=sample.names)
Computing affinities.Done.
debugging in: read.probematrix(filenames = filenames, which = "pm",
cdfname = cdfname)
debug: {
     auxnames <- as.list(substitute(list(...)))[-1]
     filenames <- .Primitive("c")(filenames, auxnames)
     which <- match.arg(which, c("pm", "mm", "both"))
     if (verbose)
         cat(1, "reading", filenames[[1]], "to get header information")
     headdetails <- .Call("ReadHeader", filenames[[1]], PACKAGE = "affyio")
     dim.intensity <- headdetails[[2]]
     ref.cdfName <- headdetails[[1]]
     if (is.null(cdfname))
         Data <- new("AffyBatch", cdfName = ref.cdfName, annotation =
cleancdfname(ref.cdfName,
             addcdf = FALSE))
     else Data <- new("AffyBatch", cdfName = cdfname, annotation =
cleancdfname(ref.cdfName,
         addcdf = FALSE))
     cdfInfo <- as.list(getCdfInfo(Data))
     cdfInfo <- cdfInfo[order(names(cdfInfo))]
     .Call("read_probeintensities", filenames, rm.mask, rm.outliers,
         rm.extra, ref.cdfName, dim.intensity, verbose, cdfInfo,
         which, PACKAGE = "affyio")
}
Browse[1]> n
debug: auxnames <- as.list(substitute(list(...)))[-1]
Browse[1]> n
debug: filenames <- .Primitive("c")(filenames, auxnames)
Browse[1]> n
debug: which <- match.arg(which, c("pm", "mm", "both"))
Browse[1]> n
debug: if (verbose) cat(1, "reading", filenames[[1]], "to get header
information")
Browse[1]> n
debug: headdetails <- .Call("ReadHeader", filenames[[1]], PACKAGE =
"affyio")
Browse[1]> n
debug: dim.intensity <- headdetails[[2]]
Browse[1]> n
debug: ref.cdfName <- headdetails[[1]]
Browse[1]> n
debug: if (is.null(cdfname)) Data <- new("AffyBatch", cdfName =
ref.cdfName,
     annotation = cleancdfname(ref.cdfName, addcdf = FALSE)) else Data <-
new("AffyBatch",
     cdfName = cdfname, annotation = cleancdfname(ref.cdfName,
         addcdf = FALSE))
Browse[1]> n
debug: cdfInfo <- as.list(getCdfInfo(Data))
Browse[1]> n
debug: cdfInfo <- cdfInfo[order(names(cdfInfo))]
Browse[1]> n
debug: .Call("read_probeintensities", filenames, rm.mask, rm.outliers,
     rm.extra, ref.cdfName, dim.intensity, verbose, cdfInfo, which,
     PACKAGE = "affyio")
Browse[1]> n
Error in read.probematrix(filenames = filenames, which = "pm", cdfname =
cdfname) :
         VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied to a 'list', not a 'symbol'
---

Do you think this might be indeed a bug with one of the libraries?
Thanks again,
Elisabetta

---