[BioC] silly lm and anova question

Pedro López Romero plopez at cnic.es
Tue Dec 12 11:55:36 CET 2006

Hi James,

There is nothing weird at all in your lm() results. You must be aware that
the anova table that you are obtaining is a sequential analysis of variance,
so  when you fit:

g1 = lm(z ~ x+y)

the sum of squares of x measures the contribution of *x*, after fitting a
overall mean (intercept), and the ss of *y*, gives the contribution of *y*
after fitting the overall mean and the *x*.

These ss are known as type I or sequential sum of squares.-
This sequential SS tells you how much the residual sum of squares is reduced
by adding a parameter to a model that already contains other factors. So, if
you change the order of parameters in your formula, you will obtain
different ss.

HTH.-

Pedro.-