[BioC] topTable vs decideTests

Morten Mattingsdal mortenm at inbox.com
Fri Dec 15 10:58:20 CET 2006

Hi Ingrid,

I think the differences you observe in how your specify the number
parameter in the topTable function.
Try something like the following code:

top <- topTable(fit2,coef=1, adjust="BH", sort.by="P",
number=length(fit2$genes))
top <- top[top$adj.P.Val <0.01,]
dim(top)

and

desTest <- decideTests(fit2, adjust.method="BH", p.value = 0.01)
vennDiagram(desTest)

gives you the same number of DE genes for a given contrast (notice that
you have to specify contrasts or "coef", in topTable)
If you want to use fold change cutoff of M>2, you can also specify this in:

top <- topTable(fit2,coef=1, adjust="BH", sort.by="M",
number=length(fit2$genes))
top <- top[top$M>2,]

hope this helps,
morten