[BioC] GCRMA explained in words

Zhijin (Jean) Wu zwu at alexander.stat.brown.edu
Wed Feb 8 05:01:02 CET 2006

TO put it simple:

RMA and GCRMA share the same idea of assuming that the observed intensity
of a probe is a sum of specific (S) and non-specific (B,background)
components, and both compute posterior mean of specific component
given the observed sum.

The main differences are:
-RMA assumes that background follows normal distribution.
It also assumes that background for all probes are from the same normal
distribution. Therefore RMA uses all probes to estimate the one set of
parameters of that normal distribution.

-GCRMA assumes log normal distribution for background. It also assumes
that the parameters of that log normal distribution depends on the
probe sequence (a little more complicated than just GC content). Therefore
it uses "similar" probes to estimate those parameters. Which probes are similar is
determined by their sequences.

-GCRMA computes posterior expectation of log(S) but RMA
computes posterior expectation of "S"

Hope this helps,
Jean Wu