[BioC] GCRMA and background

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:02:52 CET 2006

Amy Mikhail wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Was just following Richard's posts about GCRMA, and I'm curious to know
> why sequences would affect background - is it that some nucleotides have
> stronger binding affinities to dies than others or...?

No, it doesn't have anything to do with affinities to the dyes (in fact,
Affy doesn't use a dye like cDNA arrays, but uses a fluophore called
phycoerythrin). The affinities being modeled here are those between the
target (fragmented cRNA) and probes (25-mers bound to the chip).

The basic idea is that the guanosine - cytidine binding is 'stronger'
due to the fact that there are three hydrogen bonds as compared to two
for adenosine - thymidine. However, as Zhijin noted, it is a bit more
complicated than just GC content - it also has to do with where the
guanosine and cytidine bases are located in the sequences as well.

Best,

Jim