[BioC] justGCRMA memory problem

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 9 22:14:15 CET 2006

Jianping Jin wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> FYI I ran justRMA on R 2.1.0 and it was fine:
>

>>files <- dir(pattern="CEL")
>>data<- justRMA(filenames=files)
>
> Background correcting
> Normalizing
> Calculating Expression
>
>>memory.size(max=TRUE)
>
> [1] 1536868352
>
>>memory.limit()
>
> [1] 1572864000
>
> I ran into the same problem when I ran justGCRMA on R 2.1.0 as on R 2.2.0.

Yeah, I am a little thick today it seems. Your error message was 'cannot
allocate vector of size 424868 Kb' and your memory.size(max = TRUE) ==
1194139648

You add those up (noting that the vector is listed in *Kb*), and you get
1618007648 bytes, which is probably less RAM than you have available for
R (Windows XP takes quite a bit of RAM for itself).

You could always get more RAM, but you will have to make R 'large
address aware' to be able to access more than 2 Gb (IIRC). I believe
this means you have to build R from source as well. There is something
in the R-FAQ for Windows about this issue.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald