[BioC] comparing correlation coefficients (fwd)

Ilhem Diboun idiboun at biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 11:03:50 CET 2006

Dear all

I would greaty appreaciate any help with the following. Can Pearson
correlation coefficients from data on different range or scale be
compared??.For example, if I compute the (r) value from a pair of intensity
ratio datasets spanning the range -10 to +10, can I compare it with an
the (r) value from another pair of intensity ratio datasets spanning a
different range say -5 to +5. Similarily, can I compare the (r) value from
correlating a pair of intensity ratio datasets with that from
correlating a pair of absolute intensity datasets (where the scale of the
data is different). The question that I would want to address from such
comparison is whether the ratios covary better than the raw intensities.

Please let me know if this is not clear enough...
Many thanks.