[BioC] Run GOHyperG without specifying a chip

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Thu Feb 16 21:08:41 CET 2006

Hi,
   Jim is right, but we should split out the different parts, all that
the chip is used for is to define the universe and it is perfectly
reasonable to want to define your own universe. Look for some changes in
the devel arm later this week. One problem with that approach is that we
will have no way to test that your Entrez Gene IDs are valid, so that is
going to require that the user take all responsibility on that front
(and it could have a big effect if you accidently add in a bunch of
non-Entrez gene ids).

   best wishes
    Robert

James W. MacDonald wrote:
> knaxerov at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>here's a really trivial question, but I can't find the answer anywhere: can I
>>use GOHyperG() in GOstats without specifying a particular microarray chip? I'd
>>simply like to pass a list of EntrezGene IDs as my "total population".
>

> No, GOHyperG() requires an annotation package to extract all the GO IDs
> for each probe on the chip.
>
> Although it is a non-trivial task, you might consider building an
> annotation package based on your vector of Entrez Gene IDs. This can
> substantially simplify further annotation of results from your
> microarray data.
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
>

>>Thanks!!!!