[BioC] nested design in limma?

Kevin R. Coombes krc at mdacc.tmc.edu
Fri Feb 24 16:02:56 CET 2006

It depends on the overall goal.

If you are only comparing two groups of samples (A and B) and never want
to compare any of the data with anything else, then it is more efficient
to use a design that runs A against B on the same slide. In that case, I
believe some A samples should be run in the Cy3 channel and other A
samples should be run in the Cy5 channel. Otherwise, you end up
confounding a technical factor (dye) with the biological contrast of
interest (A versus B).  As a consequence, any differences you find could
potentially be explained by dye bias.  In general, I advise people
against technical replicates and urge them to find more biological
samples. So, I do not advocate "dye-swapping" in the form of running the
same sample twice, but I do advocate "dye-swapping" by running some
samples of each type with each color.

If you have more than two types of samples (either now or in the future)
or you are interested in finding subtypes within the samples or
developing classification models or predictors that can be used with
future samples, then you don't want to run A-versus-B within an array.
Instead, you should use a reference design.  In that case, you can (and
probably should) always run the reference in the same channel.  After
all, you're not interested in how the common reference compares with
anything; you'll end up comparing the A-vs-reference slides to the
B-vs-reference slides to see how A differs from B.

A longer discussion can be found in the book "Design and Analysis of DNA
Microarray Investigations" by Richard Simon et al.

Best,
	Kevin