[BioC] limma question

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Feb 24 23:31:23 CET 2006

Sun, Yezhou wrote:
> Hi, Jim,
>
> I tried what you suggested but it's still not working. Got same error
> message:
>

>>fit<-lmFit(d[, -1], design)
>
> Error in qr(x) : NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 1)
> In addition: Warning message:
> NAs introduced by coercion
>

> I think the problem is still in data frame but I don't know what it is.
> The user guide has no detailed description for single channel data set.

Affy data are single channel, and I think there are two or three
examples in the user guide.

lmFit() is expecting some sort of BioC type object (exprSet, MAlist,
marrayNorm, PLMset) or a numeric matrix. A matrix can only contain data
of one type (character, factor, numeric, etc), whereas a data.frame can
contain data of mixed types. One of the first things lmFit() is doing to
your data.frame is coercing to a matrix, which I think is the reason for
the Warning message saying NAs introduced by coercion. I figured that
the first column was the problem, but you need to see if there are any
other NAs in the data.frame, or better yet do

new.d <- as.matrix(d[,-1])

and look for the NAs.

Best,

Jim