[BioC] Experimental Design

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Jan 11 04:09:48 CET 2006

The best design depends on which comparisons are of most interest to you.

If you have 2 genotypes (wt and mutant) with 4 replicates of each and
your objective is to compare wt to mutant, you are probably fine with
a dye-swap design with 4 arrays, 1 wt and 1 mut on each array.

If the mutants are all different genotypes, then you need to
replicate the mutants.  (In my opinion, this should be a separate set
of plants - or at least a separate RNA extraction).  The best design
depends on which comparisons are of most interest - comparisons among
the mutants, or comparisons of each mutant to wt.  I cannot think of
a situation in which I would want to use the loop design you have
indicated below.

The main principle to remember is that the comparisons with most
power are the 2 samples on the same array.

--Naomi