[BioC] openMosix and R

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 12 21:50:46 CET 2006

Hi Claudio,

You'll benefit with openMosix because your R session can migrate to
less-used nodes in the cluster.

Extra benefit might come if you use or develop some of the parallel
processing tools available through R. For instance, snow, Rmpi, and
rpvm can be used to 'spawn' and communicate with new processes,
including new R processes. I think (no direct experience, though) that
openMosix will allow these processes to migrate to under-used nodes,
resulting in efficient computation.

R processes are relatively large, and computations likely to benefit
from parallelization may often involve very large data sets. For these
situations (large processes, large data) migration between nodes is
likely to be 'costly'. Whether costs outweigh benefits likely depends
on the details of the problem being solved.

It would be great to hear from people with direct experience using
openMosix.

Martin