[BioC] quality control and normalisation; RNA degradation problem

Margaret Gardiner-Garden m.gardiner-garden at garvan.org.au
Thu Jan 19 01:00:57 CET 2006

Dear Fangxin,

My feeling is that StemT2 has such a different distribution to the other
chips that it should not be included in the analysis.

It is a tricky question though because the shape of the density distribution
of StemT2 looks more like the shape we expect in a good quality chip, but
StemT2 has a very low intensity for an affy chip (compared to our chips).
How much sample RNA are you using for each chip...could you have used less
for StemT2 or could the hybridization have been not as good for StemT2?

I was wondering if the Bioconductor community knew if there is any
evidence/guide for how different a distribution has to be before the chips
should not be normalized together?  This is a question we come up against
again and again (especially when analyzing published data sets).

Regards
Marg