[BioC] Chromosome location for probes

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 25 16:21:56 CET 2006

Well, yes and no.

The useProbeInfo vignette in the annotate package shows how to find
locations in gene sequences. To switch to chromosomes is not hard, you
would need to obtain and read in the chromosomal sequence and do the
matching (worry about both strands).
  the packages: matchprobes and to a greater extent Biostrings have
appropriate sequence matching tools - please feel free to contribute
more polished versions, should you develop them. In my experience it is
very fast [you could also just use regular string matching, but be
careful as some of those will only return the first match, by default,
and you will want all matches].

Oosting, J. (PATH) wrote:
> For a single probeset it is easiest to go to the netaffx site and look
> at the Probe Info: Probe Interrogation Position
>
> If you want to check a lot of probesets, you could have a look at the
> psl document available for your chiptype. I'm not aware of any
> bioconductor package that uses this filetype.
>
> I'm in the process of doing something with probe locations myself, and
> am planning to use the last approach.
>
> Jan Oosting

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology