[BioC] No replicates and differential analysis !!

Magnus Rattray magnus.rattray at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 14:22:23 CET 2006

Hi Nicolas,

I tried to send this message to the mailing list yesterday but it seems
not to have got through.

Like others I'd caution against using no replicates at all, but I think
we have some methods that are useful with no or very few replicates.
Like Ben Bolstad said in a previous message, I would suggest that you
use the probe-level analysis to estimate the technical variance. We have
a method, multi-mgMOS, which estimates the log-signal and associates
this estimate with credibility intervals (either variances or
percentiles of the posterior log-signal). A paper describing this method
is available from,

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/short/bti583v1

and the most recent code and other publications are on the project web-site,

http://umber.sbs.man.ac.uk/resources/puma/

An older version of mmgMOS is available in bioconductor.

More recently we have developed a Bayesian t-test, PPLR, which allows
this technical variance to be included in determining differential
expression from replicated conditions. The PPLR code also works with no
replicates, in which case it just uses the technical variance. R code is
available from the above website (the paper is submitted and we will get
PPLR into bioconductor shortly).

I suggest you try mmgMOS, followed by mean or median centering of the
log-signal estimates, followed by PPLR. Let me know how you get on -
these are new methods and feedback is very welcome.

Regards,
Magnus.

--
Dr Magnus Rattray