[BioC] problems with GO package data

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 31 17:46:12 CET 2006

Jim makes a good point here. With the system we are currently using, all
of the data are stored in files and loaded on demand. That means that
the first query is always going to be slow (and possibly really slow on
some systems with limited RAM), subsequent queries will be fast. We are
working on a new system that will speed things up substantially.

Hitting control-C could certainly do odd things (but I would have
expected general odd things), like no calls to [[ to work, not just this
particular one - now maybe that is the case (and if so, could you let us
know Yu-An?)

  best wishes
   Robert

James W. MacDonald wrote:
> Yu-An,
>
> Could the problem be impatience on your part? On both WinXP and Linux
> this takes a bit of time for me (using either R-2.2.0 or R-2.3.0):
>
>  > library(GO)
>  > system.time(GOLOCUSID2GO[["4121"]])
> [1] 30.94  0.57 31.53    NA    NA
>
> Note that any further queries of this sort take no time at all:
>
>  > system.time(GOLOCUSID2GO[["4121"]])
> [1]  0  0  0 NA NA
>  > system.time(GOLOCUSID2GO[["4122"]])
> [1]  0  0  0 NA NA
>

> Best,
>
> Jim
>
> Robert Gentleman wrote:
>
>> OK, well the next option is to move to the current version of R
>> (which is not 2.2.0) and see if your problems persist. I cannot
>> replicate the bug on any system I have access to. And since [[ takes
>> one argument, it is hard to see how it has  a recursive standard
>> argument...someone is confused (maybe overoptimized compiling, but
>> even that is very rare these days).
>>
>> Or you to get more serious about debugging. Which will most likely
>> involve getting gdb or some similar interface to it working so you can
>> probe the internals.
>>
>> sorry
>>    Robert
>>
>> Yu-An Dong wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Robert,
>>> I started R in a clean directory and loaded GO:

>>> However, R simply hanged there and I had to use ^-C to interrupt. But
>>> when I issued the command
>>> a second time, I immediately got the same error as before:

>>> Fehler: rekursive Standardargument Referenz ("Error: recursive
>>> standard argument reference")
>>> Kein traceback vefügbar ("No traceback available")

>>> R version 2.2.0, 2005-10-06, i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
>>> "datasets"
>>> [7] "base"
>>>
>>> other attached packages:
>>>     GO
>>> "1.10.0"
>>>
>>> Mm, strange... Again, I appreciate your help!
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Yu-An

Robert Gentleman, PhD
Program in Computational Biology