[BioC] Problem with getBM function in biomaRt package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jul 4 20:43:02 CEST 2006

Hi Weijun,

Luo Weijun wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am trying to get gene symbols and full gene names
> (description) for a long list of (>=8000) genes. I use
> getBM function in biomaRt package. And the code is
> pretty much the same as Jim¡¯s ¡®HowTo: get pretty
> HTML output for my gene list¡¯ vignette. Everything
> works fine when I use a much shorter list (100 genes),
> i.e. igenes= hs95av2Entrezg7[1:100] in the following
> codes. But when igene= hs95av2Entrezg7 (full gene
> list), getBM doesn¡¯t work, and returns an error
> message.
>

>>library(biomaRt)

>>mart <- useMart("ensembl", "hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
>
> Checking attributes and filters ... ok
>
> load('/Users/luow/project/microarraydata/annotation/hs95av2Entrezg7.Rdata')
>
>>igenes=hs95av2Entrezg7
>
> <escription"), filter = "entrezgene",values = igenes,
> mart = mart, output = "list",na.value ='')
>
> ##(note here my orginal input is:
>  genelist=getBM(attributes =
> c("hgnc_symbol","description"), filter =
> "entrezgene",values = igenes, mart = mart, output =
> "list",na.value ='')
> ##and this long line is truncated in the terminal
> screen somehow)
> Error in postForm(paste(mart at host, "?", sep = ""),
> query = xmlQuery) :
>         couldn't connect to host
>

> Since Jim also suggests that RMySQL is much faster
> than RCurl, I also tried to install RMySQL package,
> but the error messages says there is no such package,
> even though I did see RMySQL is there in the
> contributed package list in all mirror sites of CRAN I
> tried. Not sure what is the problem.
>

>>install.packages('RMySQL', repos =
>
> "http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/CRAN/")
> Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd,
> available = available,  :
>          no package 'RMySQL' at the repositories

 > source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
 > biocLite("RMySQL")
Running getBioC version 0.1.6 with R version 2.3.0
Running biocinstall version 1.8.4 with R version 2.3.0
Your version of R requires version 1.8 of Bioconductor.
also installing the dependency 'DBI'

trying URL 'http://cran.fhcrc.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/DBI_0.1-10.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 348086 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 339Kb

trying URL
'http://bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/omegahat/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/RMySQL_0.5-6.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 899757 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 878Kb

package 'DBI' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
         C:\Documents and Settings\dd1\Local
Settings\Temp\Rtmp0c07pb\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions

I assume there is also a MacOS binary on BioC as well, but don't know
for sure. If not, you might look into installing the tools required to
build packages.

http://cran.fhcrc.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html#How-to-install-packages

HTH,

Jim

> Here is my session info
>
>>sessionInfo()
>
> Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
> powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices"
> "utils"     "datasets"
> [7] "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>  biomaRt    RCurl      XML
>  "1.6.0"  "0.6-2" "0.99-7"
>

> I actually can¡¯t even do sessionInfo after the getBM
> line got broken.
>
>>sessionInfo()
>
> Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : unable to open
> connection
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: list.files:
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library' is
> not a readable directory
> 2: cannot open compressed file
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/biomaRt/Meta/package.rds'
>

> Thank you so much for your kind help!
> Weijun

James W. MacDonald
University of Michigan