[BioC] Boxplots, different results?

ligia at ebi.ac.uk ligia at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 10 18:17:03 CEST 2006

Hi, Jose

I've also noticed this feature some time ago.
It is related with the way they handle missing data.

For example, if you save the output of boxplot in either case, we can see
that:
a = boxplot(MA$M[,1],MA$M[,2],MA$M[,3])
b = boxplot(MAw$M ~ col(MAw$M[,1:3]))

the number of observations is different:

a$n
b$n

Because option (b) is removing the NA entries that are common to all the
columns in MAw$M, so you'll have less data points in each vector.

However, if you use the command "split" we this will work, giving the same
results as option (a):

boxplot(split(MAw$M, col(MAw$M[,1:3])))

Best wishes,
Ligia