[BioC] Boxplots, different results?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 11 15:53:04 CEST 2006

Hi Ligia,

thanks for your reply... your answer makes sense, in that both methods
perhaps remove different numbers of spots. However, the number of spots
could never be larger than the total! :-)

My arrays have 10752 spots in them (14x16 times 48 blocks in a 12x4 fashion)

when I use the approach (a)
    (a)   A<-boxplot(MAw$M[,1],MAw$M[,2],MAw$M[,3])
I look at the number of observations, I get different numbers between
9000 and 9500 for each slide. That's okay. It's removing mising values
on a "per column" basis.
    A$n
    [1] 9181 9435 9331

now, when I try the approach (b)
    (b)   B<-boxplot(MAw$M ~ col(MAw$M[,1:3]))
The number of observations is identical for the three slides,
consistent with what you say about removing the same spots across
slides... but the values are larger than the total!
    B$n
    [1] 16218 16218 16218

and now, I try using the 'split' function (very useful, thanks for
pointing that one to me, by the way, I'm still rather inexperienced in
R) I get yet another result:
    (c)   C<-boxplot(split(MAw$M, col(MAw$M[,1:3])))
    C$n
    [1] 17924 18500 19027

Now the values are different on each slide, but all larger than the
maximum 10752...

before anyboidy asks:

> dim(MAw)
[1] 10752     6