[BioC] marray and gathering additional information fromGenePixGPR file

Marcus Davy mdavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Thu Jul 20 07:08:13 CEST 2006

Yes the spot intensities (labeled "Empty") which are recorded in a GenePix
gpr file should be distributed similarly to the background intensities on a
16 bit GenePix scanner (between 0 and several hundred). Essentially they are
measures of background in the foreground spot area.

Yes I mean A values, and I should have mentioned that the grouping on an MA
scale I described is without background correction. If you background
correct I would expect a shift in the MA plot distribution to the left for
the A scale. Depending on the method chosen a lot of NA's will be evaluated
when foreground is less than or equal to background.

I think that due to the distribution of background intensities, there is a
probability that for some empty or buffer only spots the foreground measure
will be higher than the background in both the Red and Green channel
simultaneously so that these small positive numbers do not get converted to
NA's when calculating M.
In the case of buffer only spots this could be due to the physical contact
between the metal printtip and the glass slide, the buffer deposited, or
even high PMT scanner settings adding noise during scanning.

Marcus