[BioC] limma advice required. Investigating the amplification of small sample RNA

Andrew Mcdonagh a.mcdonagh at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 16:51:06 CEST 2006

Gordon, thanks for the reply.

I am a little confused. How can I fit contrasts if the design (not mine
btw) is unconnected? As far as I can see, the hybridizations are
anlagous to those shown on page 48 of the limma guide, the section that
deals with single channel analysis. Note the column names of my MA object

[1] "../ampcon/mev/C0-_1stround_vs_C60-_1stround_13263536.mev"
[2] "../ampcon/mev/C0-_2ndround_vs_C60-_2ndround_13263534.mev"
[3] "../ampcon/mev/C60-_1stround_vs_C0-_1stround_13263533.mev"
[4] "../ampcon/mev/C60-_2ndround_vs_C0-_2ndround_13263531.mev"
[5] "../licl/mev/C0-_vs_C60-_13260944.mev"
[6] "../licl/mev/C60-_vs_C0-_13260945.mev"

There are no biological replicates. The experiment was performed by
taking a pool of total RNA from C0- and C60- samples. The amount of RNA
was estimated for each, and dilutions were made of the C0- and C60-
total RNA. These dilutions, have artificially low total RNA (as you
might get from some tissue biopsy). These samples were subjected to
either 1 round (cohybe C0- and C60- on slides 1,3) or 2 rounds (cohybe
C0- and C60- on slides 2,4) of amplification. The total RNA samples were
hybridized on slides 5 and 6.

Schematically:

C0-.round1 <-----> C60-.round1

C0-.round2<------->C60-.round2

C0-.totalRNA<----->C60-.totalRNA

If I create this design matrix:

  round_1 round_2 non_amp
1       1       0       0
2       0       1       0
3      -1       0       0
4       0      -1       0
5       0       0       1
6       0       0      -1

Then I have the log ratios of sample C60 and C0 for each protocol. But I
want to compare round_1 v non_amp and round_2 v non_amp  to see if they
are significantly different. I am interested to see which genes show
significantly different log ratios. In this case, you suggest fitting
the contrasts. So, I did the following to estimate the difference in log
ratios.

 > cont.one.non<-makeContrasts("round_1-non_amp",levels=hyp.design)
 > cont.one.non
        round_1-non_amp
round_1               1
round_2               0
non_amp              -1

Which gives:

 > as.matrix(hyp.design) %*% as.matrix(cont.one.non)
  round_1-non_amp
1               1
2               0
3              -1