[BioC] BH vs BY in p.adjust

lemerle at embl.de lemerle at embl.de
Sat Jul 29 01:53:44 CEST 2006

Quoting Wolfgang Huber <huber at ebi.ac.uk>:

> Hi Caroline,
>
> what does
>
>  hist(fit2$p.value[,1], breaks=100, col="orange")
>
> look like?

hi wolfgang,
well.... not at all uniform:

> x <- hist(fit2$p.value[,1], breaks=30,
> col="orange",main="distribution of raw p-values",labels=T)

> cbind(x$mids,x$counts)
       [,1] [,2]
[1,] 0.025 1891
[2,] 0.075  270
[3,] 0.125  209
[4,] 0.175  123
[5,] 0.225  100
[6,] 0.275  101
[7,] 0.325   79
[8,] 0.375   79
[9,] 0.425   85
[10,] 0.475   57 .....

but from here on, the distribution is uniform (around 50 in every bin until
p-val=1). so there are a lot of differential probesets in this contrast. but
between 519 and 1032 as estimated from BY and BH adjustments with 1% FDR,
there's quite a difference.... or can i estimate it directly from this
histogram .....substracting the baseline gives me 2439 probesets,
almost 70% of
the whole set:

> baseline <- mean(x$counts[11:20])
> sum(x$counts-baseline)
[1] 2439

how safe is this ?

Assuming that the p-values are uniform distributed under
> the null hypothesis (which they should be if they are worth their
> name), then the shape of this distribution can give you an idea of
> the proportion of differential vs non-differential probesets.

by the way, in cases that it's not uniformly distributed, from the
range values
of the over-represented bins on the histogram, can we not get an idea of the
effect size associated with the differential probesets responsible for this
non-uniformity ?
or the other way around, if i happened to know that there were differential
probesets but all of only moderate effect size, i might expect a bulge at
moderate p-values, while lower ones could well instead be uniformly
distributed, right?
but then if that were the case, could it also be that if all differential
probesets had similar p-values, say 0.2,  they could more easily be discovered
than the same number associated to a lower but wider ranger of p-values, only
because they would add significance to each other?
this doesn't quite sound right if it's true that the adjustment procedure
preserves the rank that the genes have from the p-value.

thanks for the help and comments

caroline

--
Caroline Lemerle