[BioC] limma: results from different coefficients

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Sat Jun 3 14:07:37 CEST 2006

kfbargad at ehu.es wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have three groups of samples (Tto, NoTto, C) and have made the three
> possible pairwise contrasts as follows:
>
> design.tto <- model.matrix(~-1+factor(c
> (1,1,2,2,2,3,2,1,3,1,2,2,3,1,1,2,1,1,3,1)))
> colnames(design.tto) <- c("C","Tto", "NoTto")
>
> fit.tto <- lmFit(eset,design.tto)
> contrast.matrix.tto <- makeContrasts(Tto-C,NoTto-C, Tto-NoTto, levels
> = design.tto)
> fit2.tto <- contrasts.fit(fit.tto, contrast.matrix.tto)
> fit3.tto <-eBayes(fit2.tto)
>
> If I select all d.e (p<0.05) genes from each contrast of interest I
> get the same number of genes, 463, although different

Do you mean that you get the same number of genes, but they aren't
necessarily the same genes?

> topTable(fit3.tto, coef = X(where X =1,2 or 3)#, adjust="none",
> sort.by="P", number=5506); NoTto_vs_C_y <- NoTto_vs_C[x$P.Value <
> 0.05,]

I assume this is just a snippet of code intended to give the general
idea of what you have done? If so, is it possible that your actual code
did the same exact thing three times?

> dim(Tto_vs_C_y)
> [1] 463   7
>
>>dim(NoTto_vs_C_y)
>
> [1] 463   7
>
>>dim(Tto_vs_NoTto_y)
>
> [1] 463   7
>

> Is this normal?

I wouldn't say it is normal, but it certainly is possible. These days
limma has code to do exactly what you have done that you can use to
check your results.

rslt <- decideTests(fit3.tto, adjust="n")
vennDiagram(rslt)

HTH,

Jim

> Thanks in advance