[BioC] RMA-bimodality:

Claus Mayer claus at bioss.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 15:17:29 CEST 2006

Hi Wolfgang (and everybody else)!

As pointed out by you there are two different issues here: a) the
bi-modality of (GC)RMA normalized data on many chips (which I have
observed repeatedly now as well ), b) the bi-modality of log(PM/MM)
values as stated in the Irrizarry et al. paper.

In both cases the mathematical argument, that any continuous
distribution can be monotonely transformed into any other continuous
distribution holds (which is basically behind your statement that
monotonous transformations do not preserve the number of peaks/modes),
but I still think, that the observation a) of bi-modal distributions of
gcrma normalized expression values is worth to be discussed.
Assuming GCRMA is good/perfect normalisation method the normalised
values should directly relate to the "true" biological expressions and
thus it is tempting to take such a histogram as an indication of there
being two classes of genes: i) genes with no/small expression values
(forming the first peak), ii) truely/highly expressed genes (forming the
second peak).
If on the other hand the bi-modality is an implicit by-product of the
GCRMA-normalisation, it doesn't make sense to interpret the bi-modality
biologically in that way.

I have only  limited experiences with Affy arrays so far, but at least
in one case the bi-modality also occured (but not so clearly) when using
MAS5 instead of GCRMA, which I took as an indication that in this case,
that GCRMA didn't create the two modes, but just made it easier to
distinguish between them. I would be interested to hear the experiences
of others in this respect.

Best Wishes

Claus