[BioC] error creating new exprSet

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 6 23:23:35 CEST 2006

The change is in the Biobase package, which affy et al rely
on. Biobase now checks to make sure the objects it creates are valid,
in this case that the number of exprs columns (i.e., samples) equals
the number of pData rows.

When you say

> good.eset = new("exprSet", exprs = good)

exprSet sees that it's supposed to create an instance with 20 samples,
but how can it create the corresponding phenoData? From this:

> dim(pData(data))

it looks like you have a phenoData object that you want to associate
with your exprs data. So...

good.eset = new("exprSet", exprs=good, phenoData=data)

(perhaps data is an exprSet, and you need to provide phenoData(data)
as the value of phenoData) should do the trick.

Notice that in the old version

>good.eset = new("exprSet", exprs = good)
>good.eset
Expression Set (exprSet) with
         7420 genes
         20 samples
                  phenoData object with 0 variables and 0 cases
          varLabels

you've generated an invalid exprSet -- no description of the
phenotypes associated with your samples!

Hope that helps

Martin