[BioC] RMA-bimodality:

Peter G. Warren peter.warren at verizon.net
Wed Jun 7 01:28:17 CEST 2006

Hi, Wolfgang,

Just a short follow-up. The example you provided to Noel has embedded within
it two distributions. Your example is as follows:

set.seed(123)
n = 100000
z = 20 + exp(c(rnorm(n), 3+rnorm(n)))
par(mfrow=c(1,2))
plot(density(log2(z)))
plot(density(log2(z-20)))

Continuing, if we separate the two distributions in z and overlay them, the
plot illustrates the point I've been attempting to make:

z1=20+exp(rnorm(n))
z2=20+exp(3+rnorm(n))
# Note that z = c(z1+z2)
# The left plot shows your bimodal combined density, before the "background
correction", as before.
plot(density(log2(z)))
# The right plot shows the two component distributions separately.
plot(density(log2(z1)))
lines(density(log2(z2)))

Your example in fact models quite well what I see with real, uncorrected
data. If the two distributions are not "absent" and "present" intensity
distributions, I'm open to other suggestions.

Regards,
- Peter