[BioC] [Spam:8.0] Re: R command history on unix version

Thu Jun 15 04:27:28 CEST 2006

Jianping: your Sun system may or may not have compiled with readline.
If you want to make sure do this:

# R RHOME
this will give you the location of R. Change to this directory, look
in the config.log file (search eg. for Source by doing /Source in
less) for something like

R is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /usr/local

   C compiler:                gcc  -g -O2 -std=gnu99
   Fortran 77 compiler:       g77  -g -O2

   C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
   Fortran 90/95 compiler:    g77 -g -O2

   Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline, BLAS(ATLAS)
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, iconv, MBCS, NLS
   Options enabled:           shared library, R profiling

   Recommended packages:      yes

Readline should be listed here. If not, your sysadmins need to
recompile. If it is listed you probably have some problems with your
terminal connection. Do your arrow keys work in the shell?

Running R from ESS/Emacs is of course the best way to go, but if you
are new to Emacs get ready fro a rough ride. It _will_ take quite
some time to get comfortable doing this... Note that in your case you
will be running R remotely inside a local Emacs, which is slightly
different than what most guides talk about (which is running local R
in local Emacs).

How to setup X(Emacs) and ESS is off-topic for this list. Try the ESS
help list.

/Kasper