[BioC] decideTests with nestedF

Pedro López Romero plopez at cnic.es
Fri Jun 16 15:55:28 CEST 2006

Hi Jim, thank you so much for the replay.-

I am not using decideTests ( ) to filter the genes. I am using p.adjust ()
instead:

ord=which(p.adjust(fit2$F.p.value,method="fdr") < 0.05)

Then, I use the list of genes that result to be significant to apply
decideTests (..., method="separate"). I thought that this could be
conceptually similar as using decideTests (..., method="nestedF").

I understand that "nestedF" follows a step-wise procedure selecting first
genes using their moderated F-statistic, and second (for the selected gene)
selecting the contrast that contributes to the significance of the F by the
largest value of their moderated t-statistics. I think that this is clear to
me. As a matter of fact you explained this recently:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2006-March/012182.html

So now, instead of using "nestedF", why is not possible to select genes in a
two-step-wise procedure?, firstly using a F-test to select genes that are
differentially expressed in at least one contrast and from this list of
selected-genes, to select the genes that are significant contrast by
contrast. It would be similar to nestedF, but instead of selecting the
contrast by the largest t-statistic, I perform a t-statistic for the whole
set of "selected-F-genes" for every contrast.

On the other hand, when using "nestedF" I get some genes with a 0.9 adjusted
p-value, that probably should not be considered as diferentially expressed.

>To answer your original question, I think the problem arises in this
>line of your code:

> decideTests(fit2,method="nestedF",adjust.method=”fdr”,p.value=0,05)

Yes, this I re-typed the code wrongly. In my R-script is 0.05

Again, thanks for your time.-

Pedro