[BioC] Imaging of Protein Array

Saroj Mohapatra smohapat at vbi.vt.edu
Mon Jun 26 17:35:45 CEST 2006

Hi Shizuka:

Which software are you using for segmentation of the images? Some
software (e.g., ImaGene) provide a way of increasing or decreasing the
circle size to cover the area of the spot manually. But manually finding
spot area is  (1) too time-consuming. (2)visual judgment can be
misleading, it is influenced by the levels of brightness, contrast etc.
(3) the spots might be irregular in shape, so fitting a circle would be
erroneous.

It is best to automate the whole process and only check at the end to
see if any obvious mistake was done.

Spot uses a slightly different algorithm (from ImaGene) and, I think
(others might give better opinion) produces more realistic values for
the spot intensities. You could download an evaluation copy of
Spot(http://spot.cmis.csiro.au/spot/index.php) and try it out.

Best wishes,

Saroj