[BioC] duplicateCorrelation and day effect in limma

Pedro López Romero plopez at cnic.es
Wed Jun 28 13:57:09 CEST 2006

Dear list,

I have a simple doubt concerning how I should deal with the *replicate day*
effect using limma.
It is clear that I have a *day effect* in my data that it has to be taken
into account in the model. I am using 2 different model specifications and I
do not know if one of them is correct.

a) A first solution is simply to include in the model the *day effect* as an
additional fixed effect. I will assume that there is not interaction between
*day effect* and *treatment effect*, so my design matrix will be of the
form:

    design=model.matrix(~  - 1 +  factor(treatment) + factor(day) )

    fit=lmFit(eset,design)

b) My question is if I can take into account the *day effect* as random
effect using duplicateCorrelation.

       famrep=c(
)
 	 corfit=duplicateCorrelation(eset,ndups=1,block=famrep)

       design=model.matrix(~  - 1 +  factor(treatment))

       fit=lmFit(eset,design,block=famrep,cor=corfit$consensus)

       Would be this second approach a valid one?

I will appreciate any comment on this.-
Thanks a lot.-

Pedro