[BioC] F-statistic in limma

Edmund Chang echang4 at life.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 3 23:20:35 CET 2006

Hi Jim,
Thank you very much for the many tips! I really do appreciate it.  I do
have another question about p-values associated with F-statistics.
results<- decideTests(fit.all, method="nestedF", adj="none"

 In the limma user guide, it says the following about F-statistic (Sec 18):

"... In a complex experiment with many contrasts, it may be desirable to
select genes firstly on the basis of their moderated F-statistics, and
subsequently to decide which of the individual contrasts are significant
for the selected genes.  This cuts down on the number of tests which
need to be conducted and therefore on the amount of adjustment for
multiple testing. The function decideTests() with method="nestedF" is
able to conduct such tests."

If I do
results<- decideTests(fit.all, method="nestedF", adj="none")

I take this to mean that I can select the genes with either +1 or -1 in
results$Res.contrastcoefficient and then do multiple-testing correction
(using say q-value?) on the unadjusted p-values my contrast-of-interest
(which I would then choose some cutoff). I am wondering if application
of multiple-testing correction in this fashion would underestimate the
true FDR (rather than running q-value of on the entire set of genes
regardless of how they contribute to the F-statistic?)

Thank you for your time,
Edmund