[BioC] question about reading Affymetrix cel files

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Mar 8 19:57:33 CET 2006

James Anderson wrote:
> Hi, I am a new user of Bioconductor. I have a bunch of cel files from
> Affymetrix genechip. The gene expression data I used to work with
> have both the expression value and detection calls. Could somebody
> tell me how to convert cel files using bioconductor packages? My cel
> files are txt files, not binary files. I can read in the file using
> the package affy, but I don't know how to convert those files to the
> format I want to use (one column probe name, one column expression
> value, and one column detection calls (A,M,P), maybe there are
> another two columns, but they are not important).

If you want this sort of MAS5 output you can use the affystart()
function in affycoretools with expression = "MAS5". This will output a
text file containing the probe ID, expression value, detection calls and
detection p-value.

affycoretools is in the devel repository, so if you are not using
R-2.3.0 you will need to download by hand and install rather than using
biocLite().

HTH,

Jim

--