[BioC] PhD Position in Bioinformatics at the University Hospital Basel, Switzerland

Florent Baty florent.baty at unibas.ch
Tue Mar 21 15:28:51 CET 2006

One PhD Position is immediately available at the Pulmonary Gene Research
group of the University Hospital Basel (Switzerland).

http://www.math-jobs.com/0383.html

Description

The Pulmonary Gene Research is part of the Pneumology department at the
University Hospital Basel. Our research is multidisciplinary involving
the expertise of clinicians, molecular biologists, biostatisticians and
bioinformaticians. Our work is focused on the understanding of lung
diseases at the genomic level using the microarray technology. Our
current collaborative projects include disease class prediction in
sarcoidosis, biomarker identification in lung cancer, gene profiling of
fibroblasts treated with steroids, etc. Methodological and analytical
aspects of our research are of highest importance. These include
statistical modelling, multivariate data analysis and "omics" data mining.

We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student with a strong
background in biostatistics and computational biology and preferably
with an experience in microarray data analysis. The PhD student should
have excellent English oral and written communication skills.

The research topic of the PhD position focuses on modelling of sources
of variation in microarray data. In order to remove non-biological
variations from microarray data and to scale and stabilise the data
variance, several normalisation procedures were proposed. Before
analysing microarray experiments, pre-processing techniques are
required. The choice of the normalisation method is crucial and may have
a high impact on the following steps of the analysis. In addition, some
systematic biases which are not related to the biological response (e.g.
batch effects) must be controlled and possibly removed from the
analysis. The PhD student will screen the different statistical
approaches which have been developed so far in genomics and in other
different fields of science (e.g. chemometrics, environmetrics). A
comparative analysis of the most appropriate techniques will be
performed with microarray data. The PhD student will be involved in the
development of new methodological refinements and optimisation of
normalisation, effects removing, sample classification and disease class
prediction. This project should lead to the creation of statistical
package including a set of methods for the analysis of microarray data
structures.

Requirements for the PhD student are a Master's diploma in biostatistics
or equivalent. Applicants should have a knowledge of multivariate data
analysis, and should be familiar with R, Bioconductor (optional), and
other open sources software solutions. Knowledge of C++ would be
advantageous.

Information and application with CV and letter of motivation:

PD M. Brutsche
Pneumologie
Universitätsspital
Petersgraben 4