[BioC] help on R/qtl

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Mar 27 19:55:29 CEST 2006

Hi Lang,

I think qtl is a contributed R package, but not a Bioconductor
package. So you should probably be following the advice on the
'posting guide'

http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html

and try to contact the package author first (use library(help=qtl) to
find the author contact info). If that fails, try sending email to
R-help.

Looking at the documentation for read.cross

>?read.cross

there's a section on the csv format. The last paragraph says

     The cross is determined to be a backcross if only the first two
     elements of the 'genotypes' string are found; otherwise, it is
     assumed to be an intercross.

this is a little cryptic, but I think what it is saying is that in a
design like

AA x BB --> AB
Backcross, e.g., to AA --> only AA, AB

So if at each locus only two genotypes AA and AB are observed, then
the experiment is classified as a 'backcross'. I guess in your data at
least some loci have more than two genotypes. Perhaps this is an input
data format error.

Looking at the checkrf procedure indicated in the warning

> checkrf

it seems like the code is looking that the information for each marker
is somehow 'reasonable'. Finding that it isn't, it suggests one
possible reason. Again, this looks like a data input format error.

Hope that helps,

Martin