[BioC] LIMMA: choice of offset value for background correction method "normexp"

Pie Muller pie.muller at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 17:46:15 CEST 2006

Dear Bioconductors

I am using the package limma and understand that the type of background
correction is important in the further processing of the data. Playing
around with own data I found that using the "normexp" function with
different values for the offset changes the final outcome of statistical
testing. I am, therefore, a bit concerned about which is the best way to
choose a value for the offset in "normexp". In the examples provided I
found values of 25 or 50 but it was unclear to me why you would choose
values in that range. Is there any rational in choosing a specific offset
value other than just "playing around". In fact, what does the offset value
mean? Offset from the background? Apologies if I didn't understand a simple
principle here...

Thanks for any help on this issue!

Pie

Dr Pie Mueller

Vector Research Division
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
Pembroke Place
Liverpool
L3 5QA
UK

Tel. +44 (0)151 705 3123 (office)
Tel. +44 (0)151 705 3140 (Gwen Finnegan Dept Secretary)
Fax. +44 (0)151 705 3369

http://www.liv.ac.uk/lstm/