[BioC] Limma: background correction. Use or ignore?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 19:10:33 CEST 2006

I have been using LimmaGUI for a while to analyse my cDNA microarrays.
I have always used "substract" as a method for background correction.
Why? Not sure. Intuitively it made sense, and I didn't observe any
obvious problems.
Once I played with the different methods for background correction
available in LimmaGUI, and when looking at the MA plots I decided I
preferred to substract.

However, I have recently had problems with the statistics being quite
poor in my analises (see my post a week ago or so about low B
values)... and whilst checking the data, I noticed that at least in my
current experiments, if I do no background correction at all the stats
look a lot better, the MA plots look better, and everything looks
better in general. The actual list of genes doesn't change a lot, but
the values seem a lot tighter.

This makes me question whether we should background correct at all. My
slides are pretty clean, low background. Am I not adding more noise to
the data by removing background?

Can anybody point me to a good reference to learn about the effects of
background correction, pros and cons? I'm just a molecular biologist,
not a statistician, but I need to understand a bit better these issues
or there'll be no molecular biology to work on from my experiments!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374