[BioC] Limma and fitFDist()

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu May 4 04:22:17 CEST 2006

Dear Gerhard,

There have been only two changes to the empirical Bayes calculations
in limma since the early days. These have been in limma versions
2.4.0 and 2.4.13.

The change in 2.4.0 was introduced to better handle the possibility
of residual standard deviations being exactly zero. The residual
standard deviations were offset slightly away from zero. This in turn
was prompted by the fact that rma() can produce a subset of
probe-sets with identifical expression values across samples when the
number of samples is small (three or four), as an artifact of the
summarisation method. You can read the discussion from the
Bioconductor mailing list at that time.

Later I became worried that the above change would make limma
slightly more conservative and would change people's historical
results. So in 2.4.13 I wound it back a bit so that limma would give
the same results as it did historically for most data sets, while
still giving some protection against zero residual variances.

The fact that you are seeing different results between 2.4.11 and
2.4.13 suggests that you have a data set with some very small
standard deviations. The more conservative results from 2.4.11
(slightly larger standard deviations but more smoothing) are probably
more reliable for your data. But even better would be to indentify
why you have such extremely small standard deviations and seek to avoid them.

Best wishes
Gordon