[BioC] Protein/peptide mass

Thomas Girke thomas.girke at ucr.edu
Wed May 24 19:34:49 CEST 2006

John,
Allow me to post some comments to your question rather than providing an immediate
answer.

On UNIX-type OSs, like Linux or MacOSX, I usually run EMBOSS
command-line programs directly from R using the systems("myemboss_program")
command and slurp the results into R data frames with its standard data import
functions (e.g. read.table, read.Lines). The import step often requires some knowledge
about R's regular expression utilities for reformatting the results as needed.
Knowledge about BioPerl is often very helpful as well. The advantage of this
approach is that one can post-analyze and plot almost any type of bio- or
drug-informatics program in R. However, to do this one needs to have some
basic knowledge of R, mostly for the import step of very variable data structures.

For the future it would be very useful to have some BioC utilities that will allow
a more user-friendly data import from EMBOSS, BLAST and hundreds of other
non-R-based bioinformatics programs.

I would be interested to know whether members on this list are working on packages
that will facilitate this integration with external sequence analysis tools?

Thomas

On Wed 05/24/06 16:31, john seers (IFR) wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Apologies in advance if this is an obvious question but I have searched
> and cannot find an answer or a straightforward way to do it.
>
> Is there a way to calculate the mass of a protein/peptide using
> R/Bioconductor?  i.e. like the Expasy "PeptideMass" web page or like the
> EMBOSS pepstats?
>
> Regards
>
> John Seers
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]