[BioC] Protein/peptide mass

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu May 25 17:13:19 CEST 2006

On 5/25/06 10:31 AM, "john seers (IFR)" <john.seers at bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Sean

> ======
> In that case, you can do something like this:
>
>  x <- url('
> http://ca.expasy.org/cgi-bin/pi_tool?protein=MKWVTFISLLFLFSSAYS&resoluti
> on=m
> onoisotopic')
>  res <- readLines(x)

> ======
>
> That looks like exactly what I need, especially if I can put in all the
> variations for modifications etc. Can you tell me where I can see the
> various options?

To post to servers like this, you have to know a little bit about HTML, and
particularly about how forms are described on the page.  As a start, go to
the page you are interested in using and do "View Source" from your browser.
If you read through the page, you will see various "INPUT" tags that
describe the controls you see on the rendered page.  They need to be set as
key=value pairs as shown in the URL I sent.  On the particular website I
chose (http://ca.expasy.org/tools/pi_tool.html), there looks to be very few
options.

Sean