[BioC] Limma contrasts questions

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue May 30 20:13:04 CEST 2006

Hi Sean,

Sean Davis wrote:
> Just ANOTHER limma contrast matrix question:
>
> I am trying to compute some contrasts of interest and have three factors:
>
>  Treatment (Hypoxic,Norm)
>  Tissue (4 levels)
>  Genotype (WT,KO)
>
> I chose a parameterization like this for the design matrix:
>

>>colnames(design)
>
>  [1] "TSBrain.Hypoxic.KO"  "TSBrain.Hypoxic.WT"  "TSBrain.Norm.KO"
>  [4] "TSBrain.Norm.WT"     "TSHLM.Hypoxic.KO"    "TSHLM.Hypoxic.WT"
>  [7] "TSHLM.Norm.KO"       "TSHLM.Norm.WT"       "TSKidney.Hypoxic.KO"
> [10] "TSKidney.Hypoxic.WT" "TSKidney.Norm.KO"    "TSKidney.Norm.WT"
> [13] "TSLiver.Hypoxic.KO"  "TSLiver.Hypoxic.WT"  "TSLiver.Norm.KO"
> [16] "TSLiver.Norm.WT"
>
> I would like to determine the effect of the KO as compared to the WT.  What
> might a contrast matrix look like?  How about Kidney versus liver?  And the
> effect of the KO as compared to WT in liver?  I have looked at the limma
> guide and thought I had the idea, but this is slightly more complicated than
> the limma example given.

Getting out the main effects with this design matrix will be a pain. If
I am not mistaken, your contrasts matrix should look like this (colnames
omitted for clarity - they are in the same order as you mention).

0.125	0	0
-0.125	0	0
0.125	0	0
-0.125	0	0
0.125	0	0
-0.125	0	0
0.125	0	0
-0.125	0	0
0.125	0.25	0
-0.125	0.25	0
0.125	0.25	0
-0.125	0.25	0
0.125	-0.25	0.5
-0.125	-0.25	-0.5
0.125	-0.25	0.5
-0.125	-0.25	-0.5

Remember that a contrast is simply adding/subtracting coefficients with
the constraints that the coefficients on each side of the comparison sum
to one, and overall sum to zero. Hence, in the first case we are adding
and subtracting 1/8, the second 1/4, and the third 1/2.

Best,

Jim

> Thanks,
> Sean