[BioC] automatic package installs

Fri Nov 3 23:07:45 CET 2006

So in case you are not too familiar with affy chips: in general you
can be certain that there is no automatic package installation in R/
BioC. The packages Jim is referring to is (kind of) annotation
packages for working with specific microarray chips. These packages
does not really contain code, but rather some data which is necessary
to manipulate the chip (basically the chip layout). When you read an
Affymetrix data file (CEL file) it contains information about the
type of chip. And then affy/gcrma tries to download the relevant chip
packages (of course this only happens if the packages are not already
installed). The package download only happens when the user tries to
do something that requires the data package. So in your case it is
perfectly fine to read in the cel file, but as soon as you try to
print it, it checks for the package.

I would guess the sys admins are primarily afraid of possible
versioning conflicts on a multi-user system. Generally these layout
packages (cdf, probe) are tied to the chip and there is no reason to
update the packages - unless there have been some internal changes in
R. As Jim is pointing out, it is possible to configure R so that by
default any package installation happens in the given user's home
directory, instead of in the system area. They might want to look
into the R function .libPaths and the environment variable R_LIBS.

Having said all of this, there is in principle nothing that prevents
a package writer from including code that installs arbitrary packages
when executed. And that will override the configuration settings
above. So if they are super paranoid, they should not allow people to
run R form an account that has write permission to the R_HOME folders.

Kasper