[BioC] colnames and get means for the columns with the "same" names

Weiwei Shi helprhelp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 23:40:16 CET 2006

hi,

I played around with these two functions but did not get what i want.
So I wrote a function by using a loop to do it and it is done in a
reasonable time:
> system.time(t3 <- iconix.convert(processed, 9, 7486, probes2llid.genego[,c(2,5)]))
[1] 12.356  4.494 16.836  0.000  0.000
> dim(t3)
[1]  129 4255

I am more interested in the approach instead of "averaging". I will
look into the archive since it is a very common problem Microarray
analysis has.

I post my function here in case someone needs it in the future.

iconix.convert <- function(orig, st=9, ed=7486, c.table){
    t1 <- orig[, st:ed]

    # treat missing
    t1 <- sapply(t1, function(x){ x[is.na(x)]<-0; x})

    x0 <- unique(c.table[,2])
    out <- matrix(0, dim(t1)[1], length(x0))
    j = 1
    for (i in x0){
        avg.col <- c.table[c.table[,2]==i, 1]
        if (length(avg.col) > 1){ # has 1:multiple ids
            t2 <- apply(t1[, avg.col], 1, mean)
        }
        else{
            t2 <- t1[, avg.col]
        }
        out[,j] <- t2
        j <- j + 1
    }
    out <- as.data.frame(out)
    colnames(out) <- x0
    out2 <- cbind(orig[, c(1:(st-1))], out, orig[,c((ed+1):dim(orig)[2])])
    colnames(out2)[dim(out2)[2]] <- "Group"
    out2
}