[BioC] Importing CDF file for custom array using makecdfenv

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Nov 9 16:57:09 CET 2006

Jenny Drnevich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Jim and Kasper for your responses. I'm still having trouble, and
> I have a suggestion for changing the makecdfenv vignette...
>
>>> I HOPE all the trouble I'm having below is related to this, and not
>>> to me! Because the 'whatcdf' isn't working, I tried to get the cdf
>>> name from an AffyBatch object:
>>>  > raw <- ReadAffy()
>>>  > raw at cdfName
>>> [1] "lund-zfa530237N"
>>

>> Note here what the cdfname is. The affy package will look for this
>> *exact* name when looking for the environment. Below, you call it
>> something else:
>>
>> > lundzfa530237n <- make.cdf.env("lund-zfa530237N.cdf")
>>
>> If you name it lund-zfa530237N, then everything should be copacetic.
>

> The reason I tried naming it "lundzfa530237ncdf" and then
> "lundzfa530237n", not "lund-zfa530237N" is because the vignette, under
> Section 4, Naming of CDF Packages and Environments, specifically says:
>
> "The method getCdfInfo takes as an argument AffyBatch and returns the
> appropriate environment. If x is an AffyBatch, this function will look
> for an environment with name cleancdfname(x at cdfName)."
>
> Perhaps this should be changed?  At any rate, I tried naming it
> "lund-zfa530237N", but the "-" in the name is messing everything up:

Good point. The reason for the cleancdfname() function is to get rid of
cruft like the "-" which will create the error you saw below. I will
make some changes to the vignette that will hopefully make this clearer,
and give a reasonable work around for situations like this.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Jim

--