[BioC] problems about cDNA vs genomic arrays normalization

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 18:10:45 CET 2006

Dear Yanju,

you can calculate the log-ratios for each array, and then normalize the
log-ratios between arrays by assuming that the majority of these have
negligible changes (e.g. quantile normalization or just scaling). That
should still be a viable assumption in your case.

Afais there is no simple answer on how this compares with Jenny's
proposition (i.e. how to judge what is "best"), but you can do an
evaluation of the bottom-line result using alternative preprocessing
strategies and see where you get best results.

You might also want to try to get your biologists talk to you already
before doing the experiments, on the experimental design.

 Best wishes
 Wolfgang
Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber