[BioC] memory limit increase

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Nov 27 20:20:00 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

yoo hoo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I got a memory problem. I check memory
>   memory.size()
> [1] 821423160
> I was trying to increase memory limit to 4gb, i had a piece of code:
>
>    memory.limit(size=2000000000)
> Error in memory.size(size) : don't be silly!: your machine has a 4Gb address limit
>
>   how should i do?

memory.limit(4000)

Note that this assumes that you are either working on a Unix variant
that will be able to address this much RAM, or if you are on Windows,
you have made your R 'Large Address Aware'. On 'stock' windows versions
of R you will not usually be able to address more than ~2 Gb RAM.

Best,

Jim

>   Thanks.
>
>   Michael